Thursday, September 4, 2008

A day with Mario

As the fall prep sports season hits high gear, as college football begins another quest toward championship question marks, also known as the BCS, and as the NFL starts rocking and rolling (undefeated preseason anyone?), I felt it my duty to grab onto the that summer feeling and squeeze every last drop out.

With that in mind, I spent some time a few weeks ago with Detroit Tigers television play-by-play commentator Mario Impemba for the latest installment of my series of jobs in sports.

OK, I also did it in a selfish way as an educational tool for my career as a broadcaster. But anyway...

A Sterling Heights Stevenson and Michigan State University grad, Impemba, now a Macomb resident, showed me the ins and outs of a day on the job.

The story itself will begin running in our papers Sept. 10, but some of the highlights of my time spent with Impemba included the preparation he puts into each broadcast. By 3 p.m. any day of an evening game, he is already the booth preparing stats, opening comments and information to use that night.

We walked to and through the Tigers’ clubhouse, the opposing clubhouse, the back halls and hidden alleys of Comerica Park, all in a day's work.

This is the seventh year Impemba has brought Tigers games from Comerica to our television sets and still, even as a grown man with a wife and two kids, he said he is living out his wildest dreams.

The best way to describe my time with Impemba is, "refreshing."

He has a job he loves, a job he is very good at, a job he spent years in the minor leagues to get to, and still he gets a genuine kick out of coming to the ball park on a summer night and calling America’s past time.

Not a bad gig if you're lucky enough to get it.

No comments: